Monday, August 06, 2007

Haircut Day


So today is a day that has been long overdue.... Haircut day. There is a story behind it all, starting with how much Sean loves Connor's thick, beautiful hair. I have to admit, the boy has a gorgeous head of hair. Sean has begged me not to cut it too short, to let it grow and flow like a wheat field in the wind. However, it is difficult to keep clean because of how sweaty his head gets, (being a boy and all) it's constantly getting tangled. Gavin has to have the same hairstyle as Connor or it "just isn't fair", and Brennan's hair was looking shaggy and orphan-like.
A grumpy old man at the check-out at Target made a flippant statement..."Hi girls!" he said when he saw my boys. "We're boys!" Connor exclaimed indignantly as Gavin just gave the old man a dirty look. "Hmm, couldn't tell with all that long hair," grumpy old man retorted back. Granted, I don't usually care what some "old as dirt" man says about my boys, but it did make me realize that they could use a little freshening up.
Just to rule out homelessness.
So short story long I pulled out my shears, blew off the thick layer of dust, and made my boys look like they actually do have a mom that cares. My, my! They are handsome young fellers, after all.

7 comments:

Emily and Clay said...

Forget the old man, has he not been out of his house for years? Long hair is everywhere!!!!! Rude of him to say so out loud. Anyways. Your boys are darling!

lydia said...

Love the story... love old people. No really, I do. I have been thinking of taking on gerontology as a minor. Old people fascinate me and although most if not all of them lack some degree of tact, they are usually quite funny and awesome to talk to. WARNING: Only begin a conversation with an old person if you have time to finish it. Don't say I didn't warn you.

mikemetcalf said...

Lydia, as an old person I resent your comment.

Also, those are some cute kids. :)

MarylinandGary said...

And who would ever believe that these are the same 3 children from the camping trip! What handsome boys!

Mindy said...

Love the haircuts! I thought they looked darling before, too, but they look so sharp and ready to go back to school.

I was bathing Emily this morning and noticed a few of those buffalo gnat bites on her back, and it made me think of your boys! Hope all their little bites are healing.

Lets keep a jar of buffalo bugs handy to "share" with all the nosy strangers who give unsolicited comments/suggestions. Old or young, there's no excuse for being rude (I'm a little sensitive about this subject--could you tell?).

I agree with Lydia, though, about old people being quite fascinating at times. I had some great conversations with some of my patients in my nursing days.

Anonymous said...

Gee Jenny, those are shure cute cuts on your boys. That reminds me, when Greg was riding his bike down trapers loop he saw us and said,"Hey girls!" Then Conner walks in and said,"Uncle Greg called me a girl!" [hands on his hips]. Well, love the new looks!!

Anonymous said...

What handsome boys you have! The haircuts are wonderful...I didn't see the "before" hair, though. I hurried up and printed the picture and have looked at it many times. I grin way big every time I look at it.

Hey guys, I am on the border line of being old! Actually I've crossed the border line, so be nice about old people. I wish the guy in the store would've been jovial and joking about it. Thing is...he made his point and the boys got their hair cut!

I truly don't want to become a tactless, rude old person...so please tell me when you hear me sounding like that. I mean it.

Love you guys! Loved Rachie's comment to death.