Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Smell of Snow

Snow has a smell. It's true. In fact, it's one of my most vivid memories as a child. Every time I smell that crisp, cold air I think of Christmas, and crunching through a snow drift in bread-bagged moon boots (my generation will understand), and catching perfectly-formed flakes on my tongue. There is nothing like it...and I appreciate it's beauty as well as it's nostalgic smell. Hot Cocoa anyone?

A few days back, we had the brightest full moon I have ever seen.
The morning after, it still looked beautiful
hanging sleepily above the powdery mountains.
Can you smell the snow? Me too. Can't wait to ski on those hills!

5 comments:

Salty Incisor said...

this is a very nice picture. I love the smell of snow or rain. As long as the rain is thunderstorms and the snow is the dry powdery stuff.

lydia said...

Wow! I know what you mean about that bright moon. Sometimes when Kate wakes up in the middle of the night we'll go outside to say goodnight to the moon. It was so bright we couldn't look directly at it!

I love the smell of snow. And thank you for bringing back the memory of bread bags on snow boots...may be worth remembering in our depression years to come. :-/

April said...

Jenny I just wanted to thank you so much. I am so happy you found my blog. I am a horrible person and haven't thanked you yet for the great dinner you made us. I had the thank card all written out and my husband was going to deliver them that weekend but well, you know, things got bad and being in the hospital and then recovering well, I have no idea where it went. So I hope you will take this for your thank you card. I have thought about you a few times and knowing you had been through this twice. I am so sorry. I had no idea it would happen to me. We are doing well, I am finally feeling normal so that helps. Thanks so much again for everything. I hope we can talk sometime about this.

Natalie said...

Probably my favorite post of all time! I'm a snow addict, for sure. I prefer winter to start late September and linger till May. But that's just me. Such a beautiful picture, and beautiful imagery. And I'd love a large steaming mug of hot cocoa. Pretty please?

Chris Wirick said...

Hey Jenny, I love this photo. Mind if I use it in a header image for a new blog (with credit to you of course)?

Chris