Monday, November 24, 2008

BAD TUNA


As I was preparing my much anticipated lunch, I popped open a can of tuna. I mixed in my non-fat mayo, pickle relish, and a sprinkle of dill. I spread my heavenly tuna concoction on my golden toasted de"light"ful slices of bread. I very happily (and hungrily) took a bite. Then, very hastily ran to the kitchen sink to gag and sputter and spit out every ounce of tuna. Thankfully, the taste was so bad I did not manage to swallow any of it, or else I'd have food poisoning and the ralphs for sure. The can looked unassuming, and no killer vapors knocked me over while making the sandwich. I checked the mayo, too. The mayo was innocent. It was the tuna. So, here's my question to all of you tuna connoisseurs out there..... what is the shelf-life on a can of tuna? Because I have a jumbo pack of tuna from Sam's Club sitting in my pantry that's about a year old. All of it is going in the trash, just as a precaution. Will I ever enjoy tuna again? Or has this experience ruined tuna forever?
Sobbing to myself, I looked at the evil tuna can and cried...
Curse you, BAD TUNA!

4 comments:

Salty Incisor said...

no I think the shelf life is usually longer.
oh you poor fat free mayo gal I need to work up the courage. Last year I bought some took one bite of whatever and threw it away same with the fat free versions of everything else. I would prefer to ruff it without the sunbstance than employ the fat free version. Am i just a a fat purist??? I better lose that soon! Also I tasted reg coke today and it was way too sweet! I drank 1/4 and threw it away. Before I bought it I thought I dont really want that.

Natalie said...

I too am a tuna lover! Confession - I put mustard in mine! Usually mixed with mayo, but sometimes just straight up yellowland. Looks nasty, tastes great.

I know it will be difficult, but one day you'll have to open your heart to tuna again. I bet I've eaten 5 yr old tuna that was fine. Maybe just a random bad can? Let's hope. I'm going to follow up on your tuna progress at the Christmas party. If you haven't re-embraced it by then, I'll be carrying a can in my purse.

lydia said...

I really wanted to eat a tuna sandwich throughout that initial description...not sure when I'll get around to it now.

I agree that it is most likely a one can occurrence, but if you open one or two more and find the same result then yeah, chuck the case.

Good luck.

Mindy said...

Sorry you got bad tuna, but good for you with the f.f. mayo and light bread! You really CAN have a filling, tasty meal with low calories/carbs and high protein. Hope you get your taste for tuna back soon--I love that stuff.

Also, I absolutely LOVED your Twilight review. It was perfect. You are such a good writer. My heart skipped a beat at those picture of your would-be Edward. What...a...hottie!! He would have been perfect, but then would Kristin have worked with him as Bella?? I guess we will never know.

Loved the GNO anyway!