Friday, November 21, 2008

Twilight- The movie review

With not so terribly high expectations, I went and saw the midnight showing of Twilight with my sisters and a few of their friends. Always up for a much needed GNO, I gladly sacrificed precious sleep and came along for the ride. I love hanging with the girls! But, this is a movie review, so here goes nothing....

I don't normally critique movies, or ever even blog about them, but this one deserves some feedback! I am assuming that you haven't been living under a rock these past 3 years, and have actually read the book. If you have not, don't bother to step foot in the theater. The filmmakers assume you have read the book, too. Trust me on this one...if you don't know ANYTHING about Twilight, you will hate this movie and quite possibly strangle anyone who told you to go see it. Read the books, if that interests you.

The Cinematography: Spot-on. Forks depicted in the movie was the same as Forks described in the book. The overcast, almost blue-gray film effect was perfect for capturing the mood and tone. The scenery was beautiful. And haunting, too. This aspect of the film was true to the book.

The Script: If speaking with your eyes was dialog, then this movie was downright verbose. If you can't read peoples' thoughts like Edward, then the dialog was uninspired and scant to say the least. Some of my favorite book characters (Alice and Jasper, Esme) had maybe three lines the entire movie...even the lead characters had skimpy lines. For example, you don't get much of the playful banter between Bella and Ed like you do in the book. Sure they hint at a couple of funny lines, but there wasn't any follow through. If Ed and Bella began talking for more than a minute, the music would drown them out and we would have to be forced to read lips. Good chemistry, but terrible dialog! So sad, really.

The Music:
Rocked! I am going out to buy the Soundtrack. Muse and Paramore are my new favorite bands. I have been looking for new music that doesn't sound like everything else out there, and I found it in this movie. I loved it.

Special Effects:
There were none. And they weren't special. Amazingly bad, in fact.
I wish they would have spent a little more time and money on getting the vampires' abilities to look cool instead of looking like a guy hanging from wires as he runs in mid-air as fast as he can. I have seen stage plays with better effects. Sigh.

My thoughts on the cast:
I thought Kristin Stewart as Bella was believable for the most part.... exc
ept the fact that you RARELY saw her smile the entire movie, and she was a little too sullen and moody compared to the book. I don't think they needed to play up the "Plain Jane" aspect so much, either. No makeup would have been better than the gray-eyeshadow-with-no-mascara look. Really weird. Her contact-lensed eyes were so dark they were almost creepy. No awards in the make-up department for ANY of the characters for that matter. I thought the contact lenses and pale make-up on the vamps could have been done in a tasteful way. Instead it looked like they were going trick-or-treating in some scenes. (Poor Jasper looked like a bug-eyed, baby-powdered mannequin the entire movie. Not to mention, a mute.)

The character who stole the show in my opinion was Bella's dad, Charlie. He was very natural and had the wittiest of the few humorous lines. I won't go into James, Victoria, or Laurent. I will only say cheese, cheese, and more cheese. On to the leading men...

From the time they announced Robert Pattinson as "Edward" I had a sinking feeling. Quite frankly, he's just not that good looking. For everyone who has read the books, they know Edward is breathtakingly, flawlessly beautiful. Poor Rob almost seemed awkward and nerdy at times. (Like when he walks, talks, or smiles.) Edward's character is supposed to be articulate, wise, and polished, not an insecure, stammering kid. Maybe it's just Rob's hockey nose or British teeth or his giant orange-on-a-toothpick head that turned me off. In the book, Ed's physique is carved out of marble, on par with a Greek-god. Seriously??? Sorry Rob, you are no Michelangelo's David.

Rob Pattinson

If I were in charge, I would have cast this guy as Edward. He's breathtakingly beautiful (in my opinion), has pale skin, a strong jawline, thin cut muscular body, eyes that totally suck you in, and he can act. Lost fans may recognize him. When I was reading the book series, this guy's face always jumped into my head as "Edward".

Ian Somerhalder

Now
that's Edward's body.
(and he naturally looks a little vampy.)

The actor who played Jacob in the movie (
Taylor Lautner) was way cute, but young. You may remember him from Shark Boy and Lava Girl. Then again, you may not. I thought his character was underutilized...but maybe I am just a teeeensy bit partial to Jacob. In the next book/movie, "New Moon" he needs to have grown about 2 feet and put on 50 pounds of pure sinewy muscle...hit the weights, kid. You definitely have potential.

Taylor Lautner as Jacob Black.

The Jacob in my head was always this guy.
Who I think, looks like an older brother to the current Jacob.


His name is Steve Strait. So adorable, and smokin' hot in the body department. He's worth watching Sky High or even 10,000 BC for. Ahem...moving on.

Bottom line, if you were hoping for greatness,
you won't find it here. This film had a very low budget and it shows. I am somewhat baffled as to why such a best-selling book series would be so low budget on the screen.
If I were you I'd wait for Twilight to
come out on DVD unless you are a die-hard fan
and can't wait to be disappointed.
And that ends my soapbox career as a film critic.
I will let the professionals do it from now on.

P.S. Girl's night out was the highlight of my week. Please don't think me ungrateful!
I will gladly go again just for the chance to talk and be girly for a little while...no matter what is playing on the big screen. A big THANK YOU goes out to Lydia for waiting in line for hours to get us good tickets. You are so sweet for doing that for us.


7 comments:

Emily and Clay said...

We saw it on Friday night. I hated the hissing....since when do they hiss? I agree with most of your critiques....you should ask the newspaper if they need someone to write reviews. I LOVED YOURS.

Natalie said...

Sigh.

All I've told anyone who has yet to see it is just forget the book, and try to enjoy a fun movie.

Shockingly, two guys I work with who have NOT read the book were forced to see and and both LOVED it! So maybe not having the fantastic writing of Stephenie Meyer to compare it to actually makes the movie more enjoyable. Who knows.
And who were they kidding with the cable-cord assisted leaps from the balcony? Nice and slow, you don't want to hurt the immortals.

lydia said...

How have I not commented on this yet??

I'm starting to wonder if we were all just tired and overly critical. I am amazed at the amount of people that have told me they really liked it.

As for me? I think your critique is spot on. Did you hear they formally announced they'll be making New Moon? Hope they dump a several mil into CGI and make-up. Those improvements alone might have saved it for me...maybe.

sean said...

The most tried-and-true method to despise a book-based movie is to read the book before watching the movie. :)

Salty Incisor said...

Ok finally I can give you an opinion!!
well I think Charlie was great too and Carlisle but you were right It sucked if you want to be critical and comparative but on its own I liked it too. Except the monkey Tree Climbing scene or the running with her on his back I would have preferred a woosh and a blur to crappy effects. Even low budge they coulda done better on makeup and effects that is what bugged me most. I liked Bella in the movie more than the book but she was a lot more shallow. But I like shallow I guess. Um so I will say I liked it and hated it so I guess its a mixed bag for me. Charlie bugged me in the book but I loved him the movie. Clazy. I wanted to marry Carlisle in the book and also in the movie despite his fakey soap opera dr look. They looked more like stepford people than vampires!! But I would go again and then read it again it makes you want to remember since it has been a long time since I read it. A thumps up and a thumbs down!

Salty Incisor said...

oh wait the seattle scene when they were stalking her was the second stupidest scene in the movie!!! It was so bad and so stupid Edwards acting was horrible when he was mad but good when he was happy, I thought. The worst scene in the movie was the best scene in the book. The glittering vampire in the meadow scene argh!!! Please it was bad.They totally ruined that one...but like sean said,"__"...

Anonymous said...

i don't understand what is the appeal of Robert Pattinson (Edward), his nose looks funny to me