Friday, December 19, 2008

Chocolate Ashtray

My blog is a chance for me to journal, since I don't officially journal. This post may be a strange one, so bear with me. I was watching Rachel Ray today, and normally I don't watch her show because I am dieting and it's just not a good idea. BUT... today was different. As I flipped through the channels, I noticed her guest was Hypnotherapist Paul McKenna.
He teaches that any compulsion/addiction can be cured by association in the brain. What is my compulsion? Food, of course. What is association? Well, think of your favorite food, for example. (Rich, creamy chocolate is mine.)

If it doesn't make your mouth water, then it won't work.
Now think of the most repulsive thing you could imagine eating.
(An ashtray full of cigarette butts works for me).

Now find a quiet place, relax, take some deep breaths, and close your eyes and imagine the combonation of the two.... an ashtray made of chocolate, chock full of nasty cigarette butts and ash. Now imagine yourself eating it. Did your stomach turn? Mine did. I seriously cannot even smell chocolate without smelling cigarrette ash-tainted chocolate... no joke. I tested it on a Hershey's kiss the kids brought home from school yesterday. I couldn't eat it. Just the smell disgusted me! Crazy huh?!? Just goes to show that the mind can do some pretty amazing things! So, New Year's resolutions are just around the corner! Pick your resolution and try this technique. (It also works for something you don't like doing associated with your most pleasurable experience). To see how, go here.

I know it's the holidays and no one likes a person on a diet because we suck the fun out of everything. But for me, I am amazed at the transformation in my body and mind. I haven't had a drop of soda. I love to exercise, and actually get upset if I miss a workout! I haven't eaten any Christmas goodies. The reason this is so amazing to me is because I would normally eat a whole plate of goodies by myself before the kids got home from school and bury the evidence deep in the trash. Now, the goodies bypass me completely and just go into the trash. For the first time in my life I feel empowered. I feel free. I feel like I can conquer the world. I have lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks, and yes... I am dang proud of that.

6 comments:

Emily and Clay said...

15 lbs. Sign me up! Good job Jenny! I will have to try the association thing.....sounds like it just might work.

Mindy said...

This was an interesting post. I really do believe that our minds hold so much more power than we give them credit for.
Jenny, I am so proud of you. You have such willpower and strength. You inspire me! I've pretty much eaten everything in sight this holiday season. I am not as disciplined as you! I hope I can get back on track soon.
Keep up the great work! 15 pound loss is AWESOME!

Salty Incisor said...

great job what a great kick off for your new lifestyle choices! and what a great christmas gift to give you a head start on new years resolution with the willpower already in place.
so mine would be coke and drano I guess
no Ihaven't cheated but being at the bstore has tempted me especially because I have a sore throat but I must associate it with the bad effects it has on me. So I will stay strong thanks for the info and inspo!

Anonymous said...

Great work losing 15 POUNDS!!!!! Keep up the awesome work!

Melain said...

HOLY HELL! You are my HERO! I'm definitely on board with you babe. I'm pretty sure I found the 15 pounds you lost. I need to get my snack monster back in the cage!

Baby Sis said...

Wow Jenny that is great. My sisters and i have started blogs to get us support to lose weight I am going to pas this on. Thanks for sharing.