Monday, December 08, 2008

Life Without Carbonation


***The following information is not meant to be preachy,
judgmental, or soap-boxy.
Just interesting,
eye-opening, and life-changing in my case.***



If you know me, you know that I usually have a can of Coke Zero in my hand, or the 32 oz. fountain version of Coke Zero sitting in the cup-holder of my car. I could easily guzzle down anywhere between 3-6 cans a DAY of the shiny, black-cylinder elixir. I felt out of control, constantly craving sugar, carbs, fats, salt...everything that wasn't good for me. I always thought diet soda wasn't bad for me because it didn't have sugar in it, right?

And then, my world changed. I went to a dietitian. Not only did I find out WHAT soda did to me, but how it effects mood swings, eating habits, etc. And just what does soda do to a person's body?

First off, phosphoric acid... most sodas (diet or regular) have this ingredient. It robs your body of calcium. Not only does this acid rob calcium, it also interferes with absorption of calcium. A double-whammy. After age 30, women especially need calcium for bone density later in life. My bones must look like Swiss cheese, but I am still young enough to reverse some of the damage I have done, thankfully.
Secondly, caffeine... slows metabolism. What? I always thought that little "pep" raised my metabolism. Not so. The temporary boost from caffeine is always followed by a crash, which equates to a slow-down in metabolism. So, you pop open another can of soda to not feel so sluggish and tired. (Vicious little addictive cycle, caffeine is.)
Thirdly, NutraSweet. It artificially spikes your insulin levels (the same way sugary sodas do), only with diet sodas, there is no sugar to counter-act the insulin. So, even though your teeth may not rot, your over-inflated insulin equates to fat storage, (and lots of it in my case).
And last but not least Carbonation, any carbonation (sometimes called Carbonic Acid) whether it's Coke or beer or sparkling mineral water, sucks the water out of your body, and most soda drinkers don't drink enough water anyway. Dehydration sets in, and triggers your body to eat more/drink more.

I am happy to report I am a reformed Coke Zero addict. I have not had a drop of soda in 9 days. This is the longest I have gone without soda my entire adult life. And I don't crave it. I finally feel free from the mood swings, fatigue, and irritability I have always felt while drinking soda all day, every day...(and not knowing why). I am a water girl now. Not only do I feel better, I understand what signals my body is sending me. LONG story short, I feel wonderful. I never want to drink soda again. Really.

5 comments:

Emily and Clay said...

WOW! Wow! wow! That is a lot of info in one post. I don't think I can take it. Just teasing. I have been cutting back and drinking water too.....very interesting info!

Mindy said...

Awesome post. Good for you!!! I am so proud of you, because I know that soda is a hard habit to kick. I go through "off" phases but I am currently addicted full swing. I take a calcium supplement, but it probably isn't helping too much. You inspire me!

sean said...

I have to say that it is really weird going on a diet and not having any cravings.
This is the first time I have ever dieted without the nagging hunger and cravings. The only thing I am doing different this time is not drinking soda.
I really thought it would be hard to kick, but I haven't even thought about having one.

Salty Incisor said...

sorry it took me so long to read this but it is awesome as are you. I find it funny that we quit the same day or within 24 hrs simultaneously without consulting with each other. You are awesome. I will have to come back and look at this post to burn it into my mind. It is much easier to diet for some reason isn't it? When you are just on water. YOu go girl. What a great birthday present to yourself.

Jordan said...

I feel a lot better since I have stopped drinking coke too. (I'm from GA and coke there refers to any carbonated drink. ATL coke capital of the world!)

By the way, I'm Mike and Lydia Metcalf's sister in law.