Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Something Other than Captain Patchy!


Fun With Paint!

As I researched Jackson Pollack and his many unique talents and techniques for painting, I came across a quote from another famous abstract artist, Willem De Kooning. He said Jackson Pollack “broke the ice” for Abstract Expressionist painters to follow. His use of drip painting technique using a large canvas spread out on the floor, allowed a freedom of movement and expression that was never before seen in a painter. “On the floor I am more at ease, I feel nearer, more a part of the painting, since this way I can walk around in it, work from the four sides and be literally `in' the painting” said Jackson Pollock in 1947. In honor of Mr. Pollack, the ice-breaker artist who blazoned a trail for a new and bold abstract art movement of his time, I dedicate my first (of hopefully many) action technique paintings.

My process was one of happy accidents. When I first began painting the canvas I accidentally dripped a giant blob of black paint in the center of the piece that I felt did not belong there. I took a paintbrush and with bold strokes, began brushing the colorful blobs from all over the piece, creating an undercurrent of tones in black, blue, grey, and occasional waves of red-orange. You will not see a square inch of the original white canvas in my work because of this accidental new beginning, but I find the dark background suited the piece when it all came together. It comforted me to know that often times Jackson Pollack himself would throw paint over an entire piece and begin again in a new direction.

My color choices represent the colors found in ice and fire. I chose a robin’s egg blue, bright white, canary yellow and burnt orange acrylic paint. I wanted a stark contrast of complementary colors to visually pop out at the viewer, creating a sense of conflict between two opposing elements in nature. I did not wait until the paint was completely dry before I added another layer of color, and the melding color effect was a pleasant surprise. The swirling black background of the canvas lends to the visual impact.

Materials I used to create the splatter patterns and drips seen in the piece were: an old toothbrush, a 1” flat bristle paintbrush, a wooden spoon handle, my fingers, and a wide-toothed comb. I found this method of painting in drips, drizzles, splatters, and sweeps not only forgiving, but therapeutic. I thoroughly enjoyed creating for creation’s sake, with no lines or boundaries to stay within.

My thoughts while creating the piece were of the universe, how the dark swirling background became deep space, the swirls of bright colors became nebula clouds, and the white specks and streaks became distant stars. The contrast of the ice cold vacuum of space to the molten heat of a newly forming star became my focus. “Ice on Fire” seemed a fitting name for the piece, because that is what the universe ultimately is; a balanced conflict of extremes.

1 comments:

Jenny said...

This was an assignment for school... just so you know! And I will post more often, I promise!