Sunday, November 12, 2006

Texas Snow

It's funny how I miss little things like building a snowman.
My kids have only seen snow a handful of times and wonder why it doesn't snow here in Southeast Texas.

My friend Audra came up with a solution to the snowman dilemma. We went down to Galveston yesterday, and spent the day at the beach. Audra and her family thought up the idea of a "Texas Christmas" card and asked me to take her family's picture in front of a sand snowman. It was a brisk 64 degrees and windy, but otherwise beautiful. The kids had a blast building a snowless snowman.
Today we are a little sunburned, but it was worth it.
Here is the fruit of our labor.....
Connor and Gavin barefoot in the sand. I tried to get a picture of all three of my boys, but Brennan was NOT cooperating. We sure had fun making our sandyman. (Hidden pictures...do you see the kite surfer?
The oil rig platform?)

This is Audra and her family. She has been one of my dearest friends in Texas. They are moving to Highland Park in Denver, Colorado at the end of the month. Lucky!
They'll get to make real snowmen very soon!

These photos are rough drafts of her Christmas cards...
Cammie and Kayla looking so cute!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOUR SANDMAN! What a super idea that was. Connor and Gavin, you look terrific next to your warm snowman.

I just loved the pictures. I don't know who did the sand sculpture...it was excellent.

I love you and miss you guys! Kisses and hugs from Grandma Evie.

Mindy said...

Great pictures, Jenny! What a cute idea. How'd you get the sand so smooth?
I love snow, but I'd love to be closer to the beach, too. Guess you can't have it all.
Miss you--

Jenny said...

The sand was easy to pack because it rained really hard the night before. Then you just smooth it out with a trowel or plastic spatula...cool huh?
It took us about an hour to build, and most of that time was spent smoothing the sand and filling in cracks.

P.S. The beach here is not so nice...lots of oil floating in the water from all the offshore drilling. (I had to really soap and hose the kids down when we got home because the sand stuck like tar.)