Thursday, April 17, 2008

Stone, Floods, and Fender-benders

It has been a crazy week. First, the good news...we have stone on our house. It's fun to see it shaping into a "Home". I wasn't sure about the stone at first, but now I really like it. My only concern is that it's light. The paint color will now have to be darker than the stone, which I hope will look good in the end. I think it will. We shall see.



I am in love with my front door. I don't know what it is about mahogany, maybe the smell of it, but it makes me all emotional, like a beautiful piece of music does. I know...I am weird. Maybe I was a carpenter in a past life.

This is just a perspective shot of the entry. We are leveling the floors in order to lay the wood planks. Let me tell you how much I loath drywall dust right now. Curse you, drywall dust! It's impossible to vacuum up. Any ideas? Should I mop it up? I haven't a clue how to get rid of it.


And now the bad.....
The basement flooded. The quick change in weather last weekend melted a lot of the massive snow mounds still present in the window wells and back porch. I have been up to the new house every 2-3 hours to be on "flood-watch" and to siphon out the window wells (with a garden hose and some good old fashioned suction by mouth) into the basement drains. Let me tell ya, that water is gross. I don't even want to know what kind of microbes/mosquito larvae/creepy-crawlies I have ingested just to keep my basement dry. Our window wells have pulled away from the foundation because of the weight of the snow and the constant expanding/contracting. I am not quite sure what we can do about this, but it's a problem.

And today, someone rear-ended us on Washington Blvd. Even though our car shows little damage, we all feel like we've been through a wreck. My neck is killing me. The kids are rattled and complaining that their backs hurt, too. Thankfully Sean pushed the brakes in time to not damage the car in front of us, even though we did end up tapping her rear bumper.
I hate that feeling of being in a wreck. It's scary...I foresee nightmares from the kids tonight.

Anyway, that's the week in a nutshell. We are laying our wood floors on Saturday if anyone would like to come and learn/help/eat some pizza. Anyone is welcome. (We kinda need the help).

5 comments:

MarylinandGary said...

Oh Guys - what a week! I have no idea what we have planned for Saturday, but I am sure that we can come up for part of the day ~ so expect us there!

Emily and Clay said...

I am sorry to hear about the aweful week! Hopefully nothing is injured with all of your aches & pains. Did you get it checked out?

lydia said...

Mike and I would be happy to help out for a while tomorrow. what time are you planning on? Mike has band practice in the morning but I could be there anytime, just call and let me know.

I too, hope that your aches go away quickly. That's certainly no fun.

Salty Incisor said...

oh so sad about the auto wreck and the basement. Ours filled with 2 feet if mud while building and it only cost $1400 dollars to suck "most" of it out. Hopefully its under control. P.S. went to Park City.

Natalie said...

Hey our window wells were flooding this week too! But not from snowfall, oh no. The secondary water got turned on and apparently every single valve was open full-blast. So, that was a lot of water really fast.