Tuesday, October 10, 2006

A Good Idea Gone Terribly Wrong....

Anyone who knows me very well knows that I am not the most graceful person on the planet. I tend to stick my foot in my mouth, or stub my toe on a daily basis. For instance, this week was the "Great Peanut Butter Blunder". I am really trying to cut sugar in my kids' diets, so I have switched to natural peanut butter, whole grains, organic milk, etc. The problem with natural PB is that it has about an inch of oil on top that needs to be mixed in order to spread properly. I have drained the oil before and it was like spreading wet sand on bread. I hate mixing peanut butter by hand...it requires a whole lot of muscle, so I thought..."Why not use my hand mixer?" Sounded like a good idea at the time.
As I stuck the mixer into the peanut butter, a little bit of the oil splashed out over the rim and got the side of the jar a little slippery. When I turned on the mixer, the mayhem began. The jar was so slippery it just whipped around in my hand as peanut butter and oil was flung 10 feet in every direction. When I tried to turn it off, I accidentally bumped into the jar of strawberry jam, sending it flying and then crashing to the tile floor. (Imagine sticky glass explosion all over the floor).
Every inch of my kitchen was covered in oily, sticky, sharp goo.
Connor and Gavin cautiously looked at me; I am sure they expected a string of curse words out of me, but instead I just started laughing....almost to the point of tears. I can only guess how totally hilarious the scene must have looked to anyone who saw it. The kids started laughing too, and even helped clean up the mess. And it was a MESS! I am still finding globs of peanut butter on the blinds.
Lesson learned: PB and mixers are not friends.
I went and bought a jar of JIF.

3 comments:

Mindy said...

Jenny, this made me laugh SO hard. You know a mess has to be so terribly out of control that you actually laugh about the situation. You painted a hilarious picture--I especially liked your closing line. Go Jif!

Anonymous said...

I can't figure out how to post a comment in my own name.

I burst out laughing at your funny, awful situation! Glad you shared it, honey. Any residue still hanging around?

Mom

Jenny said...

Mom,
Log in as "other". It will give you the option of selecting your own name. Thanks for reading my blog! It's been really fun and rewarding to do.
(I found PB on the window behind the blinds today.)
Jenny