Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Hurricanes,Tornados, and Floods...Oh My!

Ok, let me start off by saying that Texas has some of the sweetest, most friendly people on the earth. There are always news stories of some good samaritan rescuing a family from flood waters or a burning building. Texas however, I can do without. Maybe I am generalizing the WHOLE state (and it's a big ol' state) and I should say the gulf of Texas I can do without. You see, it's hurricane season. We get pummeled by torrential rains, hail, floods, and sometimes tornados and hurricanes. For example, it rained atleast 10 inches in less than 24 hours at my house yesterday.
Recently, they have posted signs right outside the entrance to my neighborhood on I-45.
"Evacuation Contraflow" emergency signs.
My initial response was that of panic. No kidding, my heart rate doubled and I felt very anxious. Flashbacks of Rita's nightmare evacuation hit me hard. My kids ask me every time it rains really hard if there is a tornado or hurricane coming.
If it's scary for me, it has to be terrifying for them.
I don't mean to come across as negative. I tend to stress out easily. I honestly admire anyone who lives in the gulf states like Louisiana or Florida, and has to endure hurricane after hurricane, year after year. It was stressful enough just living with the threat of a hurricane.

One positive of all the rain? My grass and flowers look amazing!
Today is beautiful...all scrubbed fresh from the rain.
So there! I have said my peace.



I guess this is a bee, we grow strange bugs down south.
(Don't get me started on the bugs down here.)


This one has hidden pictures...
can you see a ladybug? A moth?
(Expand photo to see them.)

4 comments:

Emily and Clay said...

Your pictures are great...especially the ones of the boys below. I think you are very brave for living where you are--I too get a little anxious at times. It used to rain a lot in Oregon but it was more depressing than worry-some. I am sure everything will be alright--just have to wait out the season I guess. You will be moving towards the middle of the country soon though right? I would love to come see Texas some time I heard it is georgous. I have never been there, but it looks beautiful!

Mindy said...

Jenny, awesome pictures!! Did you get your new lens for your camera? I'm thinking you did. Anyway, gorgeous shots. As for the weather, I witnessed the torrential rain the first time I came to see you. I never thought it could rain so hard that you literally could not see across the street. Can't wait for you to be on dryer ground! How are things coming along in that department? Keep us posted. Love you!

mikemetcalf said...

Awesome pictures Jenny! Lydia's birthday is tomorrow and I know she'd love some Southern bugs! Just go ahead and capture them, place them in their own individual viles, label them, and organize them by species on a styrofoam surface and send them out tomorrow morning. Thanks!

Jenny said...

Sure, Mike! LOL.... catch them....riiiight. We have bugs that could eat a small child.
I think I will stick with a totally girlie (bug free) present.
Thanks for the laugh!