Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Music to soothe the soul

I love music. It speaks to my soul like nothing else can.

With the stress I (and my hubby) have been under lately, the only thing that can calm me down is music...and chocolate (but we won't go into that right now). I am eating/sleeping/breathing music. Headphones are my best friend, and my car is my personal musical journey.

In recent years, I have been somewhat disappointed with the music being thrust upon the masses. I find myself gravitating toward obscure bands that most people haven't heard of...or have heard once and don't know who the band is. (Think "Frou Frou" a.k.a. Imogen Heap, "Zero 7", "Everything but the Girl", and this "Massive Attack" song.) I am a little quirky I guess. I used to love the mainstream Top 40 and now I roll my eyes in disdain listening to what's popular. Does that make me old? It probably does. Don't get me wrong....I am so refreshed with musicians like Ingrid Michaelson, Sara Bareilles, Colbie Caillat, and they have become mainstream for the most part. I wish them much success.

But, I am talking about the song on the right playing right now. I love it. It soothes my soul. Give it a listen (haunting vocals come in a minute). I am going to periodically throw some new songs up there and see if you like them. I know music is extremely subjective and personal, so my feelings won't be hurt if we don't agree... but give it an honest try. You just might like it, too.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

I love the song! My question is, how do you FIND all these artists? I think I mostly listen to mainstream stuff because I don't know what else is out there.

Jenny said...

Searching. And lots of it.